Old Town Hall Museum
A summary of exhibits to be seen at the Old Town Museum is displayed here, but a more detailed description is available at the Local Authority website. Click the heading above to go there.
The Old Town Museum was at one time the town hall of Hastings, and is properly known as the Old Town Hall Museum. It was built in 1823 to replace an 18th century building. The Town Hall was moved to its present site in Queens Road in 1881.
The displays at the Old Town Hall Museum span the history of Hastings Old Town. They start on the ground floor with the past within living memory and end upstairs in prehistoric times.
1 The Old Town in the 20th century
2 The Victorian Period
3 Regency Hastings
4 Figureheads- ships figureheads dating from the 1820s to the 1850s.
5 Georgian Hastings
6 The 17th century Titus Oates....
7 Tudor Hastings
8 Hastings as a Cinque Port
9 The Normans
10 The Romans
The display ends with a reconstruction of a rock shelter on the East Hill looking across the Old Town Valley to Beachy Head about 10,000 years ago.
The Old Town Hall Museum also offers
Video presentations, historic film footage, Temporary Exhibitions, The Stanhope Press, audio tours (£1 deposit required, with thanks to the Adapt Trust.) There is also an events list. Please ask at the museum front desk. A British Sign Language interpreter is available on request for all museum events. Please give at least 3 weeks notice.